In today’s digital age, meetings and conversations are no longer limited to physical rooms or telephone calls. With video conferencing tools like Zoom, people can now connect with anyone from anywhere in the world.
Zoom recording enables you to capture all the important details of a meeting, and having an audio transcript makes it easy to review and refer back to that information whenever necessary. An audio transcript can also be used for legal or compliance purposes, or simply as a reference guide for future use.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss how you can get an audio transcript from Zoom recordings in just four simple steps. We’ll also explore why it’s so important to have an audio transcript in the first place. So, let’s get started!
Zoom Audio Transcription For Cloud Recordings
Zoom provides audio transcription services for cloud recordings. This feature automatically converts the audio of a meeting into text and uploads it to the recording as a separate VTT file. The transcript can be displayed within the video itself, similar to a closed caption display, and you can enable or disable if viewers can see the transcript when sharing a cloud recording.
Zoom also offers an editing tool that allows you to review and edit the transcript of a meeting. The transcript is divided into individual speech segments, and you can edit or delete any segment of the transcript that is not accurate. Additionally, you can also receive email notifications whenever an audio transcription is completed.
*Note that audio transcription only supports English.
Prerequisites For Using Audio Transcription
Before using audio transcription, there are a few things you should check.
- First, make sure that the Zoom meeting or webinar was recorded to the cloud. This is important because audio transcriptions can only be generated from cloud recordings and not from local recordings.
- Second, verify that your Zoom plan includes the Audio Transcription feature. This can be checked on your Zoom account settings page.
- Once you’ve verified these things, you’re all set to generate an audio transcript from a Zoom recording. Let’s look at the steps involved in doing that.
How To Generate An Audio Transcript From A Zoom Cloud Recording?
Follow these simple steps to generate an audio transcript from a Zoom cloud recording:
- Go to the Zoom app and select ‘Meetings’ from the left menu.
- Select the meeting or webinar you want to generate a transcript for and click on ‘Cloud Recordings’ in the top right corner.
- Click on the recording and select ‘Generate Audio Transcript’.
- The audio transcript will be generated and uploaded as a VTT file with the recording.
How To View Or Edit The Audio Transcript
Once the audio transcript is generated, you can view or edit it in two ways.
1. If you download the VTT file, you can open it with a text editor or word processing application.
2. You can also view or edit transcripts in the web portal.
- To do that, sign into your Zoom account and go to ‘Recordings’ in the navigation menu.
- Select the recording you want to view or edit, then click on the ‘Transcript’ button at the bottom of the player.
- The transcript window will open, and you can use the editing tools to modify or delete segments that are not accurate.
How To Display The Transcript As Closed Captions
If you want to share the transcript with other viewers, you can display it as closed captions.
- To do that, first go to ‘Settings’ in the navigation menu and select ‘Recording’ from the left side panel.
- Then toggle on the feature that says ‘Enable Closed Caption when sharing cloud recording’.
- This will allow you to display the transcript as closed captions when sharing the recording with other viewers.
How To Search For Text In Audio Transcripts?
Zoom also provides a feature to search for text in audio transcripts. To search for a specific word or phrase within audio transcripts for a Zoom meeting, follow these steps:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal using your Zoom account credentials.
- In the navigation menu, click on “Recordings” to search for your own audio transcripts. If you are an admin, navigate to “Account Management” then “Recording Management.“
- In the search bar, enter the word or phrase you wish to search for.
- (Optional) Use the “Storage Location” drop-down menu to limit your search to a specific Communications Content storage location.
- Click on “Search” to initiate the search.
- Any matching text will be highlighted.
- To view the full transcript, click on “View Detail.”
- The text of the transcript will display on the right-hand side of the screen.
- To view the highlighted text in the audio transcript, click on the “Audio Transcript” tab.
- The search feature is available for both the organizer and the admin.
- This feature is only available for cloud recordings, local recordings don’t have this feature and also the transcription process takes some time to be available, so it’s not real-time.
Why You Should Generate An Audio Transcript From Zoom Recordings?
An audio transcript can be an invaluable resource for a range of purposes, such as:
• Legal or compliance : Audio transcripts can be used as evidence in legal or compliance matters.
• Searchable Content: Search engines can’t read audio, but they can “read” text. That makes transcripts essential for making content searchable online.
• Education and Training : Transcripts are a great resource for students and employees who want to revisit material from a lecture or training session.
• Accessibility: Transcripts make content accessible to people who are hearing impaired or don’t speak the language of the recording.
FAQs – People Also Ask
Can you transcribe an already recorded Zoom meeting?
Yes, you can transcribe an already recorded Zoom meeting. You will need to download the recording from the cloud storage and upload it to a third-party transcription service or use the built-in transcription feature in Zoom.
How long does it take for audio transcripts to be generated?
The time required for audio transcripts to be generated depends on the length of the recording and the complexity of the language used. Generally, it takes a few minutes to an hour to transcribe an audio or video file.
How do I transcribe a recorded zoom meeting in Word?
To transcribe a recorded Zoom meeting in Word, you will need to download the recording and upload it to a third-party transcription service. Once the transcript is generated, you can save it as a Word document or copy and paste it into a new Word document.
Is there a free software to transcribe audio?
Yes, there are several free software options available that allow you to transcribe audio. Some of these include Express Scribe, oTranscribe, and Happy Scribe.
Generating an audio transcript from Zoom recordings is a great way to access and share information with others in an efficient and cost-effective manner. With a few clicks, you can generate an accurate transcript from your Zoom recordings and make the content accessible to everyone. Try it today and see what a difference it can make for your organization!